Dr. Samir Kalra, Consultant Neuro and Spine specialist, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, is yet another successful Manav Sthali Alumna, batch 1988.
He was always a bright student scoring top position not only in 10th standard but also in 12th standard in medical stream in school. He is also an Associate Professor at Ganga Ram Institute of Medical Education and Research(GRIPMER).
Few of his achievements are listed below:
- Devised a scoring system for a disease of cervical spine known as atlanto axial dislocation, System known as Kumar and Kalra’s Scoring System; first in the world and published in one of world’s top journal known as ‘Neurosurgery’
- Devised a scoring system for brainstem glioma (a tumor of brain ); System known as Kumar’s and Samir’s Scoring System; first in the world and published in one of world’s top journal known as ‘Child’s Nervous System’.
- Pioneer in:
- First in India to do a Fellowship in Neurosurgery.
- First from India to become a member of Young Neurosurgeons forum (a part of World Federation of Neurosurgeons).
- Got Scholarship to attend the Asian Australasian Advanced Course in Paediatric Neurosurgery; December, 2007, held at Nanyang Executive Centre, Singapore awarded by the European Society & World Federation of Neurosurgeons (First from India and amongst two in the world to get the scholarship).
- Got scholarship from World Federation of Neurosurgeons Scholarship to attend the World Federation of Neurosurgeons congress at Nagoya, Japan, 2007.
Membership of various spine & Neuro societies (Life member of Neurological Society of India, Life member of Indian Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery, Life member of Indian Spinal Cord Society, Life member of Delhi Neurological Association, Life member of AO spine International, Life member of Skull Base Society of India, Life member of Young Neurosurgeons Forum, Life member of Delhi Spine Society.
- Published work:
- Presented papers in various International (22 papers) and National conferences (17 papers) and won 7 gold medals in these presentations.
- Published more than 50 articles in various national and international journals
- Author of more than 10 chapters in various textbooks of Neurosurgery.
- During MBBS:
- 2 gold medals during MBBS examinations.
- Awarded for best paper presentation during MS examinations.
- Awarded gold medal in MCh examinations.
- In school:
- Was captain of School cricket team which won inter school zonal competition for the first time.
- Selected for junior science talent search examination scholarship as well as national talent search examination scholarship.